being a mom in Italy.

Several friends have asked how mommy-hood is in Italy. I thought I'd answer the question publicly, in case you were wondering.  I'm sure you were on the edge of your seat :)
Paulison Photography took some photos at a playground while we were hiking this weekend.  I'll blog about that soon.
Motherhood in Italy is not entirely different from the US or other parts of the world I imagine.  Mostly, it takes a focus on Christ, not self.  That prevails over any cultural disparities.

Melt. My. Heart.
Finn was 5 months when we hopped the pond, and I was just then figuring some things out about being a mom.  I still am.  I doubt this will change in the foreseeable future (his lifetime...).  About 3 days after Finn was born, I called my sweet friend Jennie to apologize.  I was nearly hysterical, but I needed to apologize for all of the unsolicited parenting advice I had ever offered her.  I called to tell her that despite all of my reading and research and study into parenting methods, sleep habits, discipline etc, there was no method, book, or mantra that could guide me like a relationship with Christ and His Word can.  It was quite clear when I didn't know how to feed Finn, put him to sleep, or clear up a diaper rash.  She appreciated the sentiment and understood all to well the place of settlement that I had arrived at.

I can think of a few noticeable differences in Italy that make parenting a little more 'adventurous', if that's what you'd like to call it.

He looks 8 years old.  Stop.
1.  Italian Tile

Or wood, terra cotta, marble, cobblestone.  All of these gorgeous hard surfaces are unenjoyable to watch my child fall on while learning to sit, crawl, stand etc.  We had hard floors back in the states, but there was some relief knowing that he could comfortably fall on plush carpet whenever we visited his grandparents.  Finn will be tough.  Or bruised.

2.  Horse Baby Food

We were warned by our trusty directors within days of our arrival of the horse meat baby food on the grocery store shelves.  With the labeling variations, language barrier, and lack of baby food experience all together, there was real risk of this delicacy following into our hands.  We avoided it.  And baby food all together for that matter.

3.  Advice

Italians are very open with their parenting concerns, opinions, ideas, advice, joys, worries, experiences, history...I could go on.  In the same day and outfit, we've been cautioned that Finn is too hot and too cold.  Can't win this battle.

He's so fly.  He knows it.
Mothering Finn is an adventure here, as it was and would be in the states.  It takes a daily realization (like I had with Jennie) that Finn isn't ours.  He's the Lord's.  We were blessed with him and get to guide him in this earthly place, but we don't get to force his every move, make up his mind, direct his future, or destine his career path.  Our only hope for Finn, only, is that he would know his true Father, through His Son, Christ.  We pray and pursue that daily.

Finn isn't my first priority or my whole world.  Jesus is.  Finn isn't my second priority.  Alex and our marriage is.  Finn is my third priority, which is challenging and stretching and difficult when my flesh wants me to direct all of efforts, time and focus to him.  He's growing, and he needs me, physically still.  But my heart can in no way love and guide him if my heart is not being guided by our Maker.  Finn can't know sacrificial love unless he sees it lived out in his parents.

Precious.
Real life.
Finn is learning to crawl.  He's been a great sleeper his whole life, but with this new milestone, he decided crawling and standing is far more entertaining than sleep.  A few weeks ago I was really frustrated at bedtime.  My friend Ashley suggested picking Finn up, rocking him and trying again if he didn't stay laying down.  For some reason, this advice really struck a cord.  I want Finn to go to sleep in his crib immediately when I decide.  Finn wants to play and crawl.  This was sounding a bit like me and God.  God wants me to do something, but I have other plans.  So I thought through God's response, and it was like Ashley's suggestion.  He picks me up, redirects me, and we try again.

I realized that the problem with Finn's bedtime wasn't Finn, it was me.  I was rushed.  I had a timeline. I was tired.  When I realized that Finn requires the love of Christ, like me, I realized that every minute I get to nurse or rock or sing to Finn to help him sleep is purely a gift from the Lord.  Like me, he needs direction and encouragement.  Finn's bedtime routines are much smoother now that I don't have an agenda and have patience.

Just like any other mom, I'm learning.  And Italy presents unique situations, like "how do I teach a 9 month old not to play with radiator knobs that are at crawling level?"  I just am so grateful for a Savior who teaches me how to have patience with Finn like He does with me daily.

P.S. Finn isn't wearing puka shells in this photo.  Its a Baltic Amber necklace.  The natural stone has anti-inflammatory properties when in contact with the heat of the skin and helps with the painful teething process.  I was skeptical, but the kid's happier with it :)  Learn more here.  We got ours from this great company at this great store.


0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

Meet The Author