On the Plane


I’m writing 38,000 feet above the Atlantic ocean.  And the rest of the airbus is counting sheep or snoozing peacefully, but I’ve been unable to fool my body to think its 4 am when Tulsa time tells me its 10:43 pm.  And several friends requested that I reinvigorate my blogging, so when’s a better time than now?
Finn with his miniature seat belt!

I nudged Alex long enough for him to drag out the computer for me, and here we are.  I’m riding in the bulk head (the front row of economy class) of the plane with Finn floating in a baby bassinet just behind the mac screen.
 Baby Bassinet!

Baby bassinet on transoceanic flights=best thing ever.  As I walked to the restroom earlier, I watched a sweet mama try to soothe her toddler to sleep in a few empty seats.  We swaddled Finn up, and he thinks we’re back on land!  Magical.

I rarely get to watch him sleep, but its sweet to see his little hands move and jerk periodically.  Not sure how we got such a good sleeper, but I will continue to praise Jesus every day for it.  Especially now.

The last 24-72 hours have been a complete blur.  I’ve been asked several times how I feel.  And honestly, the emotions were so vast that few were poking through, minus frustration which kept rearing its head with every bag or bin we packed.

Several pieces of Scripture have been ongoing in my head the past nine months, reminding me of what Jesus commands of us.  


The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it. 1 Thessalonians 5:24

Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, “One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” Mark 10:21

 For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:25-27

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations,baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you [f]always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20


Most of the time, I think the commands are sweet-and my heart realizes the joy that awaits in obedience.  The past 24 hours, I’ve thought of the commands more like math homework.  But my daily opinion of what Christ commands of His followers is useless.  Praise God for His daily grace to cover my sinful thoughts.  

I have so much excitement and anticipation to see what God holds for us as we seek to trust the Lord in the above ways.  I’m excited to meet Italians and learn their sweet tongue (I’ve been practicing ‘Do you understand English?  I understand a little Italian.’ all flight long).  I’m excited for a new normal, though it won’t be easy or convenient, as are so many things of America, I’m glad to welcome a new culture into my mindset.  I’m looking forward to finding an apartment and having our own space as a family again.  I’m excited to sew and decorate it to make it our home.  I pray it will be inviting and a place for fellowship and making sweet friendships.  I’m looking forward to wrapping Finn on my back to walk to the grocery store.  I can’t wait to eat less fast food and cook delicious fresh foods.  I’m excited to be surrounded by sweet teammates who have a heart for Italians and Jesus.  I love public transportation and can’t wait to memorize and learn to love the unpredictability of busses.  I’m anticipating Sunday and meeting a new church body.  I’m overwhelmed with joy to trust Jesus through every step of this way, and know that our reliance can be in Him alone.


Simultaneously, I’m sad to leave all of my sweet friends and family in our wonderful Tulsa bubble.  I’ll dearly miss our rockstar church body that seeks to make disciples of Christ above all else.  I’ll long for mommy chats, and weddings, and the births of dear friends’ precious squishies.  I’ll miss Braum’s chocolate chip cookie dough milk shakes.  I’ll wish for our quiet neighborhood with neighbors who put the best furniture on the curb for trash (where will I find trash to treasure furniture in Bologna?!).  I’ll miss discount shopping, southern greetings, and soft mattresses.  

The emotions are plentiful and conflicting.  And I think its a sweet picture of what Jesus desires.  A longing to lose self and seek him above all else.  

Moving to Bologna isn’t comfortable or easy or quick.  But neither is sharing Christ with a coworker, or comforting a neighbor through illness, or loving a family member through a difficult time.  Walking with Jesus isn’t comfortable or easy or quick.  But praise God, I get to!  Praise God I get the Savior of the Universe.  Praise God, I know Him.  Praise God I can grow in my understanding for Him.  Praise God I can read His Word.  Praise God I can pray.

Because some people can’t/don’t/don’t know how.  

I’ll do my very bestest to update this dear old blog, and share our adventures of life, wifedom, mommyhood, crafting, and Jesus walking in Bologna.  And wherever the Lord directs us.

Our first day in the city!
Our first gelato!
Piazza Magiorre
Strawberry and Feta salad- my first food concoction in Italy.


2 comments :

  1. LOVE this. Thank you for blogging again! I will be following ANYTHING you post. I love that we can know more about what life is like for you there!! Miss yall so much already!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes my heart so happy! Prayers for you and your family as you begin to figure out what life looks like in Bologna. Thank you thank you for following Him where He has called - you are an example and encouragement to all of us!

    ReplyDelete

 

Instagram Photostream

Meet The Author