An Italian Graduation

As I've alluded to in many a newsletter and blog, the Italian university/graduation system is very unique!  Its difficult for Americans to understand, even after living in Italy for quite some time.  Students typically have 3 years of undergraduate work and a mandatory 2 years of graduate studies before being valuable in the wavering job market here.  Those 5 years can take up to 8 years or more!  Students specify the amount of exams at the beginning of their studies, and the completion of those exams are what determine their graduation date.  Consequently graduation dates are highly variable and strolling through the streets of Bologna, you're liable to see several graduations daily!  Clear as mud?

Rossana being presented with her degree
(view from my back row seat).
The first Italian student I met back in April was Rossana.  She worked diligently throughout the summer and this fall and was able to graduate last night!  She invited me to celebrate with her so I was able to see my first graduation ceremony and celebration.

Usually several students from the same faculty or department graduate together.  There were around 6 graduating with Rossana.  Friends and family are invited into a large classroom where a panel of professors sit at the front.  They're dressed in a semi traditional graduation garb, but students are simply dressed nicely, no robes.  At the beginning of the ceremony each student presents their thesis as a requirement for the completion of their degree (laurea in Italian).  I can imagine this is highly stressful, especially in front of family and friends.  I unfortunately missed this portion of the ceremony because I was wondering around the building looking for the classroom.
Getting her laurel wreath.
After all the students have finished presenting their theses, there is a brief break and then the professors present degrees to each student individually and share their final grade of their thesis!  We clap with each presentation, and the recipient student shakes the professors' hands.

After the last student has received their degree, family and friends surround the student for photos and the presentation of the laurel wreath!  They place the wreath on their head and it has a ribbon on it, colored for the student's faculty.  Then the shenanigans begin.  Its very easy to spot a graduate on the street, because of the laurel wreath, crazy outfits, and loud chants!

Champagne toast!
Rossana took photos with all of us, and as she exited the building, she was doused with confetti and given a champagne toast!  Then her friends pulled out her costume.  Hers was fairly mild from the ones I've witnessed (some graduates' friends go mildly overboard with this portion).  Her friends gave her rabbit ears, a large red neck tie, a large cardboard watch hanging from her neck, and a bottle of 'medicine' (chewing gum) to help her from running late.  She was dressed as the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland because she's always late!  She was instructed to march through town offering the 'medicine' to those who may have the same tardiness problem:)  She joyfully obliged.

So the graduate and his or her entourage march through town.  The entourage frequently breaks into song, cheering for the graduate.  You can hear it throughout the city frequently.  They exclaim:"Dottore, dottore, dottore nel buso del cul, vaffancul, vaffancul."  
In her white rabbit outfit being serenaded by
street performers.
Graduates are called dottore whether or not they have a doctorate degree.  I also won't translate this, as its a bit vulgar.  The marching is accompanied with more champagne toasts and potentially antics for the graduate, depending on the group.  We've seem some fairly interesting graduates in our time here.  Rossana, fortunately, remained fully clothed (not always the fate of some male students) as we marched through the main university street from her faculty.  We marched through the center of town and stopped by some street performers.  Her friends asked them to perform a song for Rossana, and she danced with the performers.  Her parents were joyfully in tow snapping pictures of every 'event'.  After 1.5 hours of parading our beloved friend, we settled into a restaurant for a large appetizer meal.  

Friends and family presented her with gifts and the celebration continued on past 11 pm when I left.

Italian universities are highly stressful, and the accomplishment of graduating is huge!  Its such a relief for the student and a great time to rejoice with them for their diligence.  

Congratulation Rossana!  
Mia bella amica!


::Italian readers, I've recounted this event and tradition as I observed, let me know if I missed something!::




0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

Meet The Author