no great vanilla shakes

Now that i've posted about the big milestones in the past 6 months- I can get back to the best thing in blogging! Mediocrity.

Dictionary.com defines mediocrity as the following:

me·di·oc·ri·ty



/ˌmi diˈɒk ti/

–noun, plural -ties.

1.

the state or quality of being mediocre.

and therefore defines mediocre--

me·di·o·cre



/ˌmi diˈoʊ kər/ [mee-dee-oh-ker]

–adjective

1.

of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate.

These are dreary definitions. My life is not full of substantial milestones at the moment or of dramatic low points. But my perspective on life is that of happiness and joy-not barely adequate. Interesting how a 'middle of the road' place is barely adequate.

I will not blog about mediocrity then- just my life-which is a considerable step above mediocrity apparently. side note- thesaurus.com labels mediocrity as synonymous with 'no great shakes' and 'vanilla'. I think vanilla is delicious! Especially in shake form!

Really I find joy in very simple things-which is why i like blogging.

Following the post from last week, you may have noticed Joseph, our sweet wooden duck friend. Let me introduce you to Joseph.

He faithfully guards our home/front door, since Lilly whines like a baby when visitors arrive. He lives atop our coffee table, greeting our guests and offering candy. He's an excellant teammate in any board game and an encourager during Bible study. Unforunately, yesterday joseph had a life altering injury.

huh!

living on the coffee table can be a treacherous habitat!

Initially we thought major plastic surgery was necessary, but apparently his wooden core has fixed itself! He's been holding it together all day! I'm proud of his quick recovery and return to his post.



Not only have I enjoyed the comfort all day of joseph- especially since its rainy and dreary. I've also enjoyed this fabulous pair of jeans I continually forget about! I got them a while ago on super clearance for 7 dollars. It's hard enough to find a comfy, attractive pair of jeans, let alone get them at a good price! I've realized-this will shock my mother- that after a certain age-since I'm so old now-the best jeans- are the ones that don't ride 6 inches below your belly button. I don't have to pull these jeans up, or worry about bending over! Small comfort, but they're awesome. And a steal.

And today marked the first day of Christmas shopping! I'm so overjoyed this year to have an actual Christmas budget-where folks I love get real things! Garden Ridge was playing Christmas music this morning. And normally I'm not a pre-Thanksgiving-Christmas-music-playin'-kinda-gal. But Baby Its Cold Outside came on-and I was instantly daydreaming of Christmas lights and candy canes. I don't like candy canes, but they sure are pretty! So my errands turned into Christmas shopping-that's some serious marketing! "Play Christmas music and they'll buy the store." Its true. I did. If the weather wasn't so miserable, I'd probably have completed my whole list today, I was so excited! But I got a few things knocked off my list- and I'm ready to wrap! But really ready to put them under a tree! Next DIY project-shabby chic bedroom Christmas Tree!

And my shopping day was made easier with the help of my fabulous new Vera. Vera Bradley is my best friend. I bring her with me everywhere- she holds all of the important things in my life. She helped me get through college. And helps me with my makeup, and even grocery shopping. She's the perfect helper for a weekend trip. I love Vera. Way way too much. I'm aware of the unhealthy obsession. You should look at the top of my closet sometime/on the handles of all my doors. Any print, color, size or shape. If its Vera-I love it. If its a new Vera-I'm obsessed! Like my wonderful new patchwork bag that my wonderful boyfriend got for me! In a drawing!

Cheerfully supporting TU's lovely Chi Os, we attended Chi O sing. And Alex buys a few raffle tickets to support Make a Wish. We walk by the prize table- and I point at this fabulous bag-and say "that's all I want". God obviously heard me- and a few drawings later I hear "Mary C. Smith". (Alex informed me that he added my middle initial so that they wouldn't think he was making up a name. The folks at Broken Arrow Prom thought he was back in the day. ) And they held up my prize- the beloved bag! Ok, so it probably wasn't God's divine intervention that brought me this new joy- but omg its awesome :) Practically perfect with compartments and color and patterns! It matches all outfits. Thanks boyfriend!





adore. omg.

Now I'm snuggled up on the couch-opposite of mentioned boyfriend-while he plays a space battle iPhone game and I blog. I'm warm inside and Katherine and I are watching Love Actually asap!

If this is mediocrity-sign me up. And see my blog title. So true.

-Mary C. Smith (my real name)






0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

Meet The Author