Aptly titled

As I sit on my polka dot sofa and look out at the pretty white world, I do feel incredibly blessed. I adore the snow, and though I'd love a good foot more, I'm wonderfully satisfied with just the change in color. I did wear my pjs inside out hoping to get bestie a snow day, but this lovely dusting wasn't introduced by a giant sheet of ice as usual, so I'm by my lonesome in my inside out pajamas just enjoying the view. It's the only weather that makes me consider for a tiny second moving north of the mason-Dixon line. Then I realize that outside of that window is single degree temperatures, I don't own a parka that is six inches thick, and I'll stay parked on this sofa and in my sweet South, hoping for days like this all winter:)

I arrived on this sofa just moments ago from a long winter's nap following the best celebration of the birth of my beloved! 15 hours ago this sofa was holding 5-6 people, my house was overwhelmed with 50ish of the most wonderful and lovely people I know, and an aroma of ham and yummies filled the air . Just being surrounded by them was a treat. So many wonderful people love my wonderful boyfriend and helped me pull off the surprise of the year! So far.

With lots of collaboration and a slue of very tight lipped people, the plan was executed flawlessly. You see, I looooooove birthdays, Alex, not as much. I believe in birthday months and lots of parties and excitement, and throughout our relationship I've gradually tried to convert Alex to the right way of birthday thinking. He skillfully asked me out on his birthday 3 years ago, trying to have an excuse to ignore his birthday I'm sure. Though our first anniversary was tricky, I've managed to overhaul his birthday ever since. Last year from Fayetteville I orchestrated a surprise outing to dinner, sped to Tulsa( got pulled over, cried, no ticket), arrived at his dorm room door and wrote a note on a post it pad that read - "a kiss for your birthday" with a Hershey's kiss next to it. I left the note, knocked on the door, and ran around the corner. Lovely boyfriend opens the door, takes the kiss, and writes a reply- "thanks :)", with no inquiries into the culprit! Next I knock on the door and stand there, he opens the door and I say, "Why're you accepting kisses from strangers on your birthday?" The night developed into a blast with a surprise dinner with many lovely people at our favorite restaurant, the Brooke ( they have Mac and cheese that would rival Jenny Largent's). To die for.

So this year, I was ready to go big. Sometime last fall Alex had alluded to wanting a potluck versus everyone spending lots on a big meal out. So I devised a plan to have a surprise potluck, with his favorite ham. I made a make shift guest list that included about 50 people. For those of you who have visited my lovely abode, it doesn't hold 50. Last fall, I was afraid my family of 20 couldn't even fit, but my back porch came to the rescue. With the forecast for last night, I knew my deck wouldn't stand a chance. So, I forged ahead, contacting 50+ people with my master plan via facebook and texting. It's hard enough getting that many college students in one place, let alone getting delicious dishes, and keeping it all a secret. But Alex and I are blessed with incredible, amazing friends (who have excellent culinary skills).

So the plan went as follows. I told Alex I was taking him out for his birthday date last night, just us. He was ecstatic and was so happy it was the one night of the year I took him out and paid :)

Wrong. I had told him it would be a surprise, and that I may have to blindfold him. I had rallied the troops to my house at 630 and planned to get him at 7. I had spent the day cleaning, decorating with precious pics of baby alex, and baking a ham- my first large meat to cook!


Adorable:)

Successfully it all came together and I was ready to go at 645! My sweet friends jammed into my miniature living room, and waited..

Meanwhile I went to get Alex, who really had no idea what was about to occur. I blindfolded him, but he was so embarrassed and afraid that everyone was staring at him. No one saw though, I was just circling neighborhoods trying to disorient him. I texted Katherine that we were close, and pulled into the driveway. Alex was begging me to take the mask off. He didn't want to walk through a parking lot, let alone onto a restaurant with it on, but I refused. I guided him up to my door, reached for the knob, and it was locked... Not in the game plan. I tried not to panic, do I knock? Use my keys? Idk! Then the door opens, I lead him in to my pitch black house, pull off his blindfold, and 50 of the most wonderful people screamed surprise! I felt like I was dating a celebrity! He was shocked! (see the video on my fb)

We enjoyed delicious food, incredible company, and a great SEC win!








I truly am blessed, thank y'all so much for helping me make Alex's birthday wonderfully special :)

Off to enjoy the dwindling snow and brainstorm next years :)
-mary :)

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

Meet The Author