a super God

I love being at home. I just love the option of pajamas and blankets all day. So I loooooooove snow days. And I've never longed to be in school more than on Thurs and Fri when it was a snow day! I just love an excuse to not have to do anything-since its the only time that I won't. I'm such a busy body, and I love my full schedule. I was inaccurately named-should've been Martha.

Since I started living outside of my parents house, and a dorm, I've seen my Martha tendencies more and more. I love staying busy and keeping projects and having people over and keeping my agenda abundantly full. These aren't innately bad characteristics, but as we see in Luke, Martha's servant tendencies create a feeling of anger towards her lazy sister Mary who is spending time at Jesus' feet. But Jesus' reaction surprises Martha, who expects praise for her effort to welcome Him and feed Him in their home. He tells Martha, Mary has chosen a better part.

Ouch, for the Martha in me. Though my agenda is often full and I'm seeking to daily please the Lord, I rarely take time to just relax and bask in His grace and mercy. I see this most, when I burn out. When I've done so much and still feel the need to do more. When my day is full, but I didn't have time to squeeze some time for just me and Him. I'm a multitasker-also Martha's speciality. And since I'm busy, I seek to find time with God while I'm doing lots of things ie driving, waiting in a line at a store, etc. But where in my agenda do I think God only deserves the time I have when I'm not fully consumed with another project, in between my agenda. Doesn't the Savior of the world deserve first priority on my agenda? Though my productivity level is often high, how productive is my day if I'm not focusing only on Him atleast once. Granted, I want to spend time with God all throughout my day, while I'm doing other things. But like Martha, I forget that God desires so much more than our servant efforts. He desires our hearts which can't be compartmentalized into 1 time in the day, but can't be haphazardly scattered when its convenient. I think being Mary is a heart change of seeking to relish in the Lord with every opportunity and with intent.

I'm reading Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World-aka, book made for me. So far, I'd highly recommend it, especially since I don't know many women in our era who aren't multitasking super women. How can we be super women if we're not in tuned with our super God?

just a thought.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

Meet The Author